Saturday, May 24, 2014

My Favorite TV Shows from 2013/2014: #4-6

4. Breaking Bad- AMC
This show was definitely hyped to me but it lived up to expectations. I finally watched the show this year and I would have put this at least this high in previous years. This review concerns the final 8 episodes of the series. This show was exceptionally well acted and the characters command attention. The story resolved in ways I would have never guessed but still found very believable. The first half of the season was my favorite part overall but I can't think of a way to improve this show. If you want to watch the show it is entirely on Netflix. Season 1 and even the pilot are very good indicators on whether you will like the series or not.

5. The Mindy Project- Fox (Last Year #6)
The jokes are really great and I consistently like any scene with Mindy or Morgan. The rest of the cast is solid and I like the guest stars they bring in. As someone who hates chick flicks this show still appeals to me by somewhat subverting the genre. I think this works an excellent example of the chick filck genre by keeping things from going in predictable manners. Music Festival was a really good episode but I wouldn't say there were any bad episodes.

6. The Big Bang Theory- CBS (Last Year #2)- Still a classic show and has great stories. Some people say it only makes fun of nerds but I think it actually shows a lot of what's cool about nerds and nerdy things, while character flaws are mostly just about the individual characters. The Convention Displacement (with James Earl Jones) was hilarious while The Raiders Minimization, The Proton Displacement (the Bill Nye episode) and The Locomotive Manipulation are all very good episodes. Like Sheldon, I'm not that happy with some of the character's direction. I think the show is great when they keep things the same and any character arcs feel a little forced. The show creates funny jokes around Star Wars and comics that work beyond name dropping.

No comments: